Home » Police Department » SafeCam Program Online Registration
The Fultondale Police Department announced a new tool we believe will curb crime and help with investigations. The program is called SafeCam and it is being used in other cities across the U.S.
Here's how it works. Businesses and residents can register their security cameras with the Fultondale Police Department. Those who decide to register will give their basic information (name and address) along with how many security cameras they have. FPD will have a list of security cameras around Fultondale and will be able to access that list during an investigation. If a camera is in the area of a crime, the owner of that camera is contacted and police can ask to see the footage.
There is no way police can see the footage without the video being handed over by the owner. Residents and business owners can opt-in and opt-out at any time.
Protect yourself, your family, and your community by registering with SafeCam.
The SafeCam program is the Fultondale Police Department’s newest crime prevention and investigative tool. The goal of the SafeCam program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between our officers and the community we serve.
Security camera footage is an invaluable asset to our department, helping to establish leads and identify suspects. Registering your camera with SafeCam not only helps to deter crime, but it also assists the Fultondale Police Department in its overall crime prevention strategy. Similar programs have already taken root with other agencies across the nation, with countless success stories of how this program has helped their communities.
By voluntarily registering your contact information, officers will know how to reach you if a crime occurs in the vicinity of your property. Registering your information does NOT provide the Fultondale Police Department with direct access to your camera, or the ability to view your footage without your consent. The only way our Department would be able to view your camera footage is by you releasing it directly to us. The Department will simply contact you if they believe your camera may have captured footage relevant to a criminal investigation.
All “SafeCam” information is kept confidential. Residents and business owners who currently have cameras, or are looking to purchase cameras, can fill out the form below to register their cameras with “SafeCam.” It only takes a few minutes to register. You will be asked to provide some basic information about the location of your surveillance cameras.
There is no cost associated with the registration and your information is confidential. Once you have completed the registration form, a member of the Department will follow up with you to confirm your registration. You may delete your registration at any time by filling out the 'Opt Out' form below.
The personal information you share with us is completely confidential.
In the event that your video captures a suspect in a case, we may provide a still photo or portion of the video to the media or post it to social media in an effort to help identify the suspect. Who provided the video or where the video was taken would not be released.
In no way does this program give investigators access to your cameras. When you register your camera with us, you provide very basic information to let us know there are cameras in that specific area.
If a crime occurs in the vicinity of where your camera is registered, an investigator or officer will then contact you to ask if your cameras picked up anything relevant to the investigation. The homeowner or business registered with SafeCam would then have the option to voluntarily give officers the video to help with the investigation.
Registering your cameras simply lets us know where to begin looking for possible evidence.
Yes. Any time you decide you no longer want to be registered with the LPD SafeCam Program, you can fill out the 'Opt Out' form at the bottom of the page to have your information removed.
If you did not register, there is no need to fill out the 'Opt Out' form.
The goal of the SafeCam program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between the Fultondale Police Department and the communities we serve. Accordingly, all SafeCam registrants agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Any footage containing or related to criminal activity may be collected by the Fultondale Police Department for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
2. All information provided to the Fultondale Police Department pursuant to the SafeCam program is reserved for official law enforcement use by the Fultondale Police Department and will not be released to any member of the general public or press except (a) as required by law or Court Order or (B) to the minimal extent necessary, if at all, to further the investigation which may include sharing portions thereof with (i) other law enforcement agencies or (ii) solely for the purpose of assisting with the identification and/or apprehension of a criminal suspect, to the media and/or the community, through the use of still photographs for the purpose of creating community advisories flyers or billboards.
3. If necessary, the Fultondale Police Department will contact you directly, using the information provided on this site, to request the appropriate video surveillance footage.
4. Under no circumstances shall registrants construe that they are acting as an agent and/or employee of the Fultondale Police Department through the SafeCam program.
5. Under no circumstances shall the Fultondale Police Department utilize any information obtained to view footage/feeds directly from cameras owned by registrants.
Marking the designated box below in the form indicates acceptance of the above terms and conditions.